Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Thing 8: Photos, slideshows and other adventures in online sharing



This where I work. The TJ Jones Memorial Library and the reference room. All of the wood work is wonderful and original. It was formally used as housing for the Asbury hospital in Minneapolis, MN earlier in the 20th century.

http://www.slideshare.net/guestf3b659/ill-presentation. Behold my very own slide show Interlibrary Loan Presentation. Could be a great tool, especially since a few of the people on staff go into classrooms and teach students this information. It seems like our technology is always faltering. It is a good idea to back it up online.

http://lazybase.com/dbhome?a=934782298&k=276192668 the experimental database. Because of the nature of what I do at the library I am not sure how useful this specific database tool would be. I don't want to discredit it, because I do think that it could be useful, I will just have to think hard about this one. :)

I studied over the e-folio. I think this could go either way. I see how useful it could be to students who are looking for jobs right out of college, or even for professionals who are looking to move-it-on-up, but I wonder if employers are really out looking for things online. Perhaps this comes from limited experience in the work force, but I have seen largely that the would-be-employee comes to the potential employer and applies accordingly. It seems like e-folio may have the potential to be mostly dealing with the opposite. It seems that employers would be seeking out employees on the web. Is this done on a wide scale basis?

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Jen, I like the looks of your library! It is nice and "classic" looking.

I saw eFolio as a great networking tool, and not just for people looking for jobs. I enjoyed looking at the example portfolios to see what other educators are writing and doing, and it gave me ideas for professional activities I might want to persue. Also, it seems like a good tool for finding other people in your field with similar professional interests.