Friday, February 15, 2008

Thing 2 Library 2.0-Questions for my own library

Wow, after reading through and watching videos on the potential that this Library 2.o movement could have, I am exceedingly excited. I will admit being 23 years old and am on the generational line of being a Gen-Xer and being a Millennial. I tend to harbor qualities of both, at least that's what sociology classes tell me. Another piece of information that may be vital to understanding why I think and blog the way I do is that I work at a small library; limited budget=limited technology.

With the above being mentioned I will reflect on that which I just saw and read. Stephen Abram made mention to a few things that I really got excited about. He made a reference to planning to have the time to learn something new. I think that as generations pass they seem to loose the ability to take the time for anything. Fast food, fast information online, fast track to success, fast money. Easy and quick that is how our society is functioning. This is no surprise and no news to anyone out in cyberspace I'm sure of that fact. However, the implications that this could have on how libraries function is huge. It means changing; keeping up with the times. Going completely online.

I say that with the limited staff and budget that the library I work at possess poses a problem to the library's ability to keep up with the changing demand on it. The library itself is located at an undergraduate university that harbors many millennials that are loosing interest in how traditional libraries function (this was mentioned in the posted blog). Sadly, I will agree. Our fast and easy society demands that libraries keep up or face extinction. Library 2.0 is real and it's coming and it's going to change how libraries work.

Something I do wonder, that was hit on in that posted blog, is that many think that Library 2.0 will turn into a club of rich libraries. This is a possibility in my humble opinion, and brings me a bit of sadness as an employee of a small library with little money. I think for libraries that have limited budget priority has to be given on the nature of what is in demand and on what actually is in demand. This library is at a Christian institution and has a large collection of old books and commentaries. We also have a growing Psychology and Sociology department with ever changing resources need to accommodate them. There is a small myriad of other majors, but these are the two that seem to frequent our humble library. Older information is important, but are we, as a library, presenting it to them in a way they can find it and have easy access to it. I don't believe so. They could out on to other online catalogs and find what they are looking for faster and easier than what we may offer them. How do we keep up?

We make it a priority to spend money on technology and to keep up with the nature of demand. I have much to learn about many things in library science, but I think it is safe for me to assume that it is essential that the way libraries are run much keep up with the changes in society or face obliteration to the Google monster.

I am participating initially because the library director thought it would be good for me to learn a few things to aid our students, staff, and faculty at the university. After reviewing the first few Things I am excited and anxious to see how I can apply new concepts to what we do here at T.J. Jones Memorial Library. I look forward to learning more about the details of how library science is done, but also to catch a glimpse of the big picture and see where libraries may be going.

Thank you for your time and attention as I write out my thoughts. Any helpful comments are certainly welcomed.

No comments: